Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stop and Smell the Lilacs....





I was going to do part 2 of maximizing a small space, but as I was pulling out of my driveway, I noticed the Lilacs are starting to bloom!!! I had to stop for a moment to take a look and breathe in the lovely aroma!! They are just starting to sprout up. Soon the few small clusters of flowers I see will multiply to a full blooming bush. A Lilac stem to me is simple and elegant; so graceful in the way they bend in different directions when several are grouped together in a vase.

Lilacs, to me, are the epitomy of springtime; so fresh and new. Spring is a time of new growth and new beginnings. As my daughter put it the other day, "the world looks so beautiful with all the colors". She marvels constantly at the new flowers and tree leaves springing up. "Mommy, look at all the pink, look at all the purple, look at all the green..." I love to see this new beginning through her eyes.

In the spring people tend to focus more on their home. They talk about "spring cleaning" and new outdoor projects. It is a time when people come out of the winter doldrums and start to gather more often with friends. It is a time of renewel for the home, the yard and the soul. People's moods seem to lighten with the fresh air and sunshine. There is an excitement with the anticipation of summer and all the activities that go along with it.
But just like the spring, the Lilac flowers don't last long. Take the luxury of gathering a bunch and putting them on your desk at work or on a table at home and enjoy them while they last. I love the way the different shades of purple blend so well together and work with many different color vases. I love how the purples work with the blues of my pewabic vases (pictured above). I always place a few stems of the leaves in them also. Take a few moments to stop and smell the lilacs and bring a little spring into your home.

2 comments:

  1. I passed a bush today with dark, dark purple blooms - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bush with dark purple blooms,they are my favorite!! It is not filling out so well this year. Maybe I need to trim it back?

    ReplyDelete