Friday, May 21, 2010

Inspiration........


My yard

My yard

My yard

Inspiration Photo from Veranda

Inspiration Photo from Southern Living

Inspiration Photo from Restoration Hardware

Inspiration Photo from Veranda

I am excited to spend a lot of time outdoors this summer. I have been working on a list of things I want to accomplish in the yard, not major work, but refining some of the elements that already exist in the space. My yard has a lot of trees, a variety of types and varying shades of green. I am very lucky to have 4 beautiful Japanese Maples that add a pop of deep burgundy to almost every corner of the yard. The landscaping is very natural, almost rustic, with a lot of ground cover, a stone retaining wall and stone lining the planting beds. My house is dark brown stained wood and stone. I am working on a few small planting beds for some perennials but will be adding most of the color with pots on the deck. This is the back drop I have to work with in my yard, or as I refer to it the "architecture of the yard". These are my givens. Without major construction or re hauling of the landscape, I have to work within these perimeters to achieve my desired look.
My thought is to enhance the natural surroundings. I have gathered a few inspiration photos, above, of the feel I want to achieve in my yard. You can see as you scroll down the photos from my yard to the inspiration photos, there isn't a big contrast. Any of these elements will work well in my surroundings. I love to dine al fresco, surrounded by greenery, so I am going to take ques from the photo from Southern Living. I love the weathered teak dining table and chairs; I do not have a set like this. My table is glass and my chairs mesh (never liked this set, my husband bought it, sorry honey!!) , I probably won't get new this year, but I am not worried about making them work in this context. Why? Because I am going to be able to convey the feel
that I love about the photo. It is cozy, lush and rustic. I have the natural greenery. We just had a pergola built on our deck, over the table, with a candle chandelier hanging above,(more coverage from sun than an umbrella which is a problem for us) which helps achieve the cozy feel. I can add potted annuals around, like my inspiration photos from Veranda, that will surround the table, like in my inspiration patio. I can set my existing table to mimic the table in the picture so the table its self doesn't hinder me.
I also love plush seating outdoors. A few years ago I had a wood benches, with backs built on my upper deck. They are in an L shape, like my Restoration Hardware photo. I am going to have cushions made for them this summer and I will probably add an outdoor ottoman in the middle. So even though I am not going to buy a new outdoor sectional, I can achieve the feel with my existing elements. I just got 2 new chairs that have woven sides and cushions, so I am adding some of the elements of that photo too.
The gist of it is, if you are planning on updating your yard this year, you can achieve the feel you are looking for in inspiration photos. The elements don't have to match exactly, you don't have to buy all new; inventory what you have and compare the "feel" to your inspiration photos. Survey the "architecture of your yard". Look for photos that have the feel of your yard. If you have a rustic, wooded setting, such as mine, look for photos that convey that look. If you have a more formal setting, look for photos that enhance that look. Without a major overhaul, the look of your yard and house are your givens. Think about what drew you to them in the first place and try to enhance that feel. I loved the natural feel of my yard. It has been a work in progress for years and this year, with the help of a few professionals, I will continue to enhance the feel I fell in love with in the first place. I will blog before and afters as it progresses.
Today's luxury is to fall in love with your yard. Select photos that can help you expand upon that, it can be as small as adding a few new plants, to redecorating your deck. Is there anything more luxurious than enjoying your piece of this earth on a beautiful sunny day?

No comments:

Post a Comment