Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mid afternoon smoothie break...





Nothing tastes more satisfying on a hot afternoon than a homemade smoothie. They are filling, cool, refreshing and simple to make. The bonus is that they taste like you are drinking a dessert, but they are good for you!!

My recipe is really simple, children love them and it's something easy for them to make. My daughter loves filling the blender!! I just fill the blender, I don't measure anything. For about 4 1 1/2 cup smoothies (the size in the picture above) use:
  • Fill blender about 2/3 with frozen fruit. I used strawberries and blueberries, but any combination will do.
  • Use about 2 cups of yogurt, I use vanilla to add a little extra sweetness for the berries. If you are feeling really indulgent, use frozen yogurt.
  • Add about 1 1/2 cups of apple juice. Add more if too thick. I think apple juice works the best with berries, it's flavor is mild enough not to over power the delicate flavor of the berries. I used to use orange juice but I think, unless you want a strong citrus flavor, it is too strong for the berries.

The best thing about this recipe is that it is simple and satisfying. There are only a few ingredients so it's quick and economical. You can use any combination; I've frozen mandarin oranges and combined it with orange juice and vanilla yogurt and it's like a creamsicle. Frozen bananas blend very nice, giving an almost ice cream like texture, they combine well with almost any berry (take the peel off the banana before freezing, this I learned the hard way!!). They are also good for a quick breakfast or a healthy afternoon snack. You can also leave out the yogurt and it is like a thin, drinkable sorbet. Very refreshing!!! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment