Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mid afternoon smoothie break...





Nothing tastes more satisfying on a hot afternoon than a homemade smoothie. They are filling, cool, refreshing and simple to make. The bonus is that they taste like you are drinking a dessert, but they are good for you!!

My recipe is really simple, children love them and it's something easy for them to make. My daughter loves filling the blender!! I just fill the blender, I don't measure anything. For about 4 1 1/2 cup smoothies (the size in the picture above) use:
  • Fill blender about 2/3 with frozen fruit. I used strawberries and blueberries, but any combination will do.
  • Use about 2 cups of yogurt, I use vanilla to add a little extra sweetness for the berries. If you are feeling really indulgent, use frozen yogurt.
  • Add about 1 1/2 cups of apple juice. Add more if too thick. I think apple juice works the best with berries, it's flavor is mild enough not to over power the delicate flavor of the berries. I used to use orange juice but I think, unless you want a strong citrus flavor, it is too strong for the berries.

The best thing about this recipe is that it is simple and satisfying. There are only a few ingredients so it's quick and economical. You can use any combination; I've frozen mandarin oranges and combined it with orange juice and vanilla yogurt and it's like a creamsicle. Frozen bananas blend very nice, giving an almost ice cream like texture, they combine well with almost any berry (take the peel off the banana before freezing, this I learned the hard way!!). They are also good for a quick breakfast or a healthy afternoon snack. You can also leave out the yogurt and it is like a thin, drinkable sorbet. Very refreshing!!! Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I will provide you with a personalized gift list, where you can buy DIY gifts for your wife, husband, friends and children; of course, if your house needs decoration, we also sell many pillows. We have many pillow and sofa styles for you to choose from. You can click on the link below
    floral pillow shams
    personalized teacher signs
    linen cushion covers
    farmhouse pillow
    best personalized christmas gifts

    ReplyDelete